Discover the land of the lemurs on this eight-day tour through the stunning natural landscapes of northern Madagascar. Spend time on the forested trails of Amber Mountains National Park before reaching the Ankarana Reserve where spectacular limestone "tsingy" rock formations, underground rivers, and sacred caves await. Afterwards, head off to the islands for well-deserved beach time on Nosy Be, then head under the water to explore waters teeming with marine life and shallow corals in Nosy Tanikely. And, of course, you'll visit the "lemur island" of Nosy Komba to spend time with the curious creatures this country is known for.
- Travel Style : Classic
- Service Level : Standard
- Physical Grading : 3 - Average
- Merchandising : New Trips
- Trip Type : Small Group
- What's Included:Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group. Amber Mountain National Park and Ankarana Reserve visits. Nosy Komba & Nosy Tanikely boat tour. Free Time in Nosy Be. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Highlights:Explore the forest trails of Amber Mountains National Park, Witness spectacular limestone "tsingy" rock formations, Stay overnight in bungalows at the entrance to Ankarana Reserve, Spot lemurs and bird species in the tropical jungle, Relax on the beaches of Nosy Be, Explore the underwater paradise of Nosy Tanikely
- Group Size Notes:Max 16, avg 12
- Meals Included:7 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 3 dinners
- Transport:Private minibus, walking, boat.
- Accommodation:Simple hotels (5 nts), basic bungalows (2 nts).
- Emergency Contact:Should you need to contact us during a situation of dire need, it is best to first call either the G Adventures Local Representative (if one is listed below) or our G Adventures Local Office. If for any reason you do not receive an immediate answer, please leave a detailed message and contact information, so they may return your call and assist you as soon as possible.
If you have purchased an arrival through G Adventures or if an arrival transfer is included in the cost of your tour, please note that your arrival transfer has been arranged based on flight information provided to us. If you are advised of a flight schedule change within 48 hours of your scheduled arrival time, we will do our best to rearrange your arrival transfer however we cannot guarantee this. If your arrival transfer does not arrive within 30 minutes after you have exited the arrivals area please take a taxi to your start point hotel.
EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBERS
G Adventures Local Representative (Madagascar)
During Office hours (Weekdays, 8am-5pm Local Time): +261 202 202 012
After hours emergency number : +261 32 07 11511
G Adventures Local Office (Nairobi, Kenya)
From outside Kenya: +254 727 208 832
From within Kenya: 0727 208 832
If you are unable for any reason to contact our local office, please call the numbers listed below, which will connect you directly with our 24 hour Sales team, who will happily assist you.
Toll-free, North America only: 1 888 800 4100
Calls from UK: 0344 272 0000
Calls from Germany: 0800 365 1000
Calls from Australia: 1 300 796 618
Calls from New Zealand: 0800 333 307
Outside North America, Australia, New Zealand, Germany and the UK: +1 416 260 0999
- Packing List:Documents:
• Flight info (required) (Printouts of e-tickets may be required at the border)
• Insurance info (required) (With photocopies)
• Passport (required) (With photocopies)
• Required visas or vaccination certificates (required) (With photocopies)
• Vouchers and pre-departure information (required)
• Binoculars (optional)
• Camera (With extra memory cards and batteries)
• Cash, credit and debit cards
• Day pack (Used for daily excursions or short overnights)
• Ear plugs
• First-aid kit (should contain lip balm with sunscreen, sunscreen, whistle, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, bandaids/plasters, tape, anti-histamines, antibacterial gel/wipes, antiseptic cream, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, rehydration powder, water purification tablets or drops, insect repellent, sewing kit, extra prescription drugs you may be taking)
• Flashlight/torch (Headlamps are ideal)
• Fleece top/sweater
• Locks for bags
• Long pants/jeans
• Outlet adapter
• Personal entertainment (Reading and writing materials, cards, music player, etc.)
• Reusable water bottle
• Small travel towel
• Toiletries (Preferably biodegradable)
• Watch and alarm clock
• Waterproof backpack cover
• Windproof rain jacket
• Shorts/skirts (Longer shorts/skirts are recommended)
• Sun hat/bandana
Note: Please ensure you bring a breathable rain jacket if you are travelling to Madagascar between November and April where the climate is usually hot and rainy.
- Visas and Entry Requirements:All countries require travellers to have a valid passport (with a minimum of 6 months validity). Please note that upon arrival by air or by land to Madagascar, all non-Malagasy nationals must pay a fee of 120,000 Ariary (about 35 EUR/ 37 USD/ 27 GBP at time of writing) for a tourist visa of 30 days or less (adults and children). Payment for this can be made directly at the border or airport and all major currencies are accepted. We advise our travellers to ensure they have close to the exact amount needed in bills (plus a little extra to account for any fluctuations). Cash is preferred. Any change will be given in Malagasy Ariary.
If you arrive into Ivato Airport (Antananarivo), you should make your way to the border control desk closest to the Direction Generale des Impots (DGI) Office where there is an electronic sign indicating the cost of the visa.
The information above is accurate as of February 22nd, 2018, however we always advise our travellers to check with their Embassy/Consulate for the most up-to-date information as fees and policies frequently change. It is the travellers responsibility to have the correct travel documentation.
It may be required to show a Yellow Fever certificate upon entering the country. Please check in with your local consulate and health expert for advice on Yellow Fever and other inoculations required for this area.
- Optional Activities:No optional activities
- Minimum Age:You must be 18 to travel unaccompanied on a G Adventures tour. For minors travelling with a guardian over 21 years old, the minimum age is 12.
- International Flights:Check-in times and baggage allowances/restrictions vary by airline and can change at any time. For the most up-to-date information for your flight, please contact your airline. We recommend checking in online in advance to avoid potential delays at the airport.
Itinerary (8 days)
Arrive at any time.
Amber Mountain National Park
Drive to Amber Mountains National Park, with a full day to explore the various forest trails. Watch for lemurs, birds and reptiles and marvel at the many waterfalls and volcanic lakes.
Amber Mountain/Ankarana Reserve
Continue on to Ankarana Reserve, home to spectacular limestone 'tsingy' rock formations, underground rivers and sacred caves.
Continue exploring the Ankarana Reserve on foot.
Ankarana Reserve/Nosy Be
Enjoy the scenic journey south to the small fishing village of Ankify, where we get a boat across to the island paradise of Nosy Be.
Nosy Komba & Nosy Tanikely
Head out on a local pirogue to explore 'the lemur island' Nosy Komba, and the underwater paradise of Nosy Tanikely, a marine reserve.
Spend the day enjoying this gorgeous area. Opt to do some hiking or hit the beach.
Depart at any time.